Saturday, April 19, 2008

lessons

This morning, in the rush to get out the door to school, the house went crazy. We only "go to school" one day a week and getting there by 9 am, with everyone dressed and fed, is a monumental task. I honestly don't know how my friends do it by 7:45 am, five days a week. Since I see friends this day, I like to shower and look somewhat pulled together and I have to review the song I am teaching too.
So as every Friday morning happens, this one was nuts. At one point I was cutting up strawberries, getting my shoes on, rehearsing the song and reading the scripture lyrics, and pretending to listen to the eldest recite the first 20 Presidents and the First, Second, and Third Laws of Thermodynamics. Maggie had just finished and I was getting breakfast on the table when I heard my Poppy start screaming frantically. I ran in to the girls' room and found her hanging precariously from the top bunk on top of the ladder which had been perched along the end (to keep Baby Jack from climbing to the top). This is one of the rules of our house: Do not stand, jump, or climb around on the top bunk. It's dangerous. Poppy looked terribly frightened and honestly, the way her arms looked, I wouldn't be surprised if her shoulders had popped out of their sockets or if she had torn a rotary cuff.
I grabbed her and Maggie grabbed the ladder to avoid anyone or anything getting smooshed. I set her on the bed and explained that she had broken a rule. Didn't I tell her not to climb up there? Not to mess with the ladder on top? That she could get very hurt and mommy would be sad if she was hurt? That mommy tells her these things and makes these rules so she won't be hurt? Why don't you obey mommy when you know that I am helping to keep you safe?
As I was saying all of this, I had a different lesson spouting in my head. I was imagining God saying the same thing to me, maybe a little more gently. Don't I tell you these good things and offer up these guidelines in order to save you from hurt and harm? Don't you just wonder if He doesn't throw up His hands in exasperation and roll His eyes? I am sure He does. He must.

No comments: