Monday, April 7, 2008

blame


Blame is an ugly thing. It steals and destroys. It hurts and divides.

And why do we feel like we must place blame? Is it part of the healing or problem? What satisfaction do we glean from pointing the finger? Is it a morale or self esteem booster? Does it help me to look in the mirror and feel better about myself if I can place the blame somewhere else?

Blame is a slippery thing. I can point the blame finger as quickly as someone else points the finger back at me. It's my word against hers. So how do we know who is right and where the blame should land? And does it really matter in the end? And just because I say blame is hers doesn't mean she has to accept and carry it.

Blame is a time-waster. I can stew all I want on who's fault it was, but I am still here and instead of moving forward I am spinning my wheels and going nowhere. I am not a better person for placing the blame.

Blame accomplishes nothing. When I hand over the blame, it is an empty satisfaction only. It doesn't mean reconciliation; it has nothing to do with reconciliation. Maybe I will have a temporary feeling of justification, but I can only hold on to that nothingness for so long before I am left with a pointing finger aimed at no one.

Blame makes me lonely. Blame separates. Blame embitters.
And do I want to be bitter and lonely and separated from my world, my circle?

Today is a new day and the finger is has been folded and put away. Blame is part of shame and guilt and that's not part of a healthy me.
I choose peace and happiness, friendship and love, grace and fullness of life.

No comments: