Thursday, March 6, 2008

witness

I was fortunate enough to witness the birth of a new life tonight. My mind is reeling and verging on collapse as I try to wrap myself around what just happened. I envisioned something completely different, yet life altering. I am moved. I feel privileged beyond expression. I wanted more. I wanted to soak it in and revel in the experience. But in the end, I was so completely and utterly awestruck, I could only gasp and cry in thanksgiving and humility. I am a witness.
Now I have given birth three times already and each of those times left me gasping. Each time I was breathless with gratitude. But this time I was on the outside peeking in- engaged, but only a bystander. This was so different. I felt like I was stealing- hoping that I would not be noticed and asked to leave.
I saw life begin as this precious, tiny person emerged in to this world of love and good and hatred and poverty. As I sit here I am praying for this new one to grasp life with both fists and hang on; to love with all his heart, strive to be good and generous in all his dealings with our earth and it's inhabitants, fight hatred, and relieve those in need. I hope his life is long and full, spilling over and infecting others- changing others. I pray he will be a witness to the birth of his own children and carry the legacy his parents have begun for him.
Thank you, my dearest friend, for allowing me to be there for this moment in time. This spinning planet has just been incredibly blessed by the life you have yielded from your body. I know our Father was smiling on this angel tonight and I count myself lucky to have been a witness.

No comments: