Friday, March 14, 2008

Ode to a Fireman


My husband wasn't always worthy of an ode.
But I am happy and humbled to sing his praises now.

I have to admit that it wasn't always the praise-worthiness that attracted me to him. It was mainly his mysteriousness, the brooding, and if I am completely honest, the muscles. We were neurotic and passionate and desperate.

Is he perfect? No, I can't say that he is. Perhaps I don't expect him to be any more and that's why we get along so well. Not that my standards have lowered. It's just that I am realistic and fair- and in love. I love my fireman with all of my heart. I want him to know me inside and out... and I think he does. He can see through me and guess my motives and moods before I have sometimes sorted them out. I am puzzled and surprised by his understanding of me and wonder at his ability to love me through all my selfishness and moodiness and disorganization.

He gives everything to the task of providing and caring for us. He loves us with a fierce, protective love. Sometimes I forget this because he isn't exactly verbose when it comes to his feelings. But the other day when my cool neighbor decided to scare the wits out of me, my scream brought a brave and concerned man, ready to kill off whatever was attacking me. I melted.

He is brave everyday. He sees stuff at work I can't even imagine. For goodness sake, he runs in to burning buildings and rescues children and family dogs. But more importantly,he comforts me and says positive things, even though it's out of character. He worries about money and the future and about being a good father. He is a stronghold for us. He wants to know truth and live knowing he has done the right thing.

He isn't always attentive. When silence between us used to be uncomfortable, now it is normal. When he goes in to his "thinking mode", I don't feel threatened anymore. Usually I just tell myself that he is pondering how much he loves me and how irresistable I am- although in reality he is most likely trying to solve quantum physics or figure out the New York Times Crossword Puzzle. Whatever.

All I am saying is, I love this man, my husband, my friend. He can rescue me any time.

No comments: