Sunday, February 10, 2008

how to be a great mom


I think I am going to write a book. I am going to call it, "How to be a great mom". Now I don't want to mislead anyone with the title- I have no idea how to be a great mom. Most days I am trying to keep "scary mom" in the closet. But I do have a circle of friends who are amazing mentors and mothers and who, in times of great distress and desperation, generously share their secrets.

Have you ever thought about how unfair it is that when we deliver these bundles of joy we don't recieve a manual of any kind to go along with them? Just because I can create this little person is in no way an indicator that I am fit to care for this child. I remember the panic I felt when we were discharged from the hospital with our first baby. What was I suppose to do? Are they kidding? The only thing you are going to check is if I have my car seat installed semi-correctly? I could hardly walk, much less take care of an infant who screamed most of the time. What language was she speaking anyway- nothing I recognized!?

Although life has changed dramatically since the little miss was born, it doesn't seem to get easier. I reflect on the infant stage as easy compared to the battle of wills our little cruise director can maintain.

So here goes... I am going to work up chapter one and post it soon.

No comments: