Monday, June 8, 2009

day off

today I woke to thunder. the coolness of the early morning rolled my curtains and I breathed in the wetness of rain. I rolled over to find soft baby skin and the rough, over-washed, ever-loved, slightly smelly blankie. I heard "funder" and "scary". I fell back to sleep spooning baby boy.

I ground coffee beans this morning and drank deeply of the milky sweetness from my favorite mugs.

I dashed around town and came to rest at a park over looking a river. I sat with a friend. The breeze was soft and cool and the sun made a beautiful day. I watched my boy splash and laugh and climb.

I ate chocolate and bought more for later.

I smelled all the dish soaps and chose just the one.

I crunched ice.

I sat on the edge of a swimming pool and finally got in. It was cold and nice. I listened to giggles. I watched the girls be brave and try new things.

I reconnected with a friend.

I went to the fire station and got a kiss.

I wondered when Poppy grew so tall.

I ate black beans with goat cheese and spring greens.

I made a double batch of granola and the warmth of the oven made my AC kick on. My water fountain gurgled the whole time. The house smells like cinnamon and toasted oats.

I checked my tomatoe plants and planted squash. I weeded and had to scrub my nails.

I read books to the kids and fell asleep while Maggie read to me.

I see fire flies outside my window tonight.

My babies are tucked in and smell like sweat and sunscreen and sunshine. They are sun-kissed and soft.

They are beautiful.

I am listening to a favorite song and wishing I had a good book waiting for me beside my bed.

I work tomorrow.

Tonight I am home.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

So beautiful! We really want to see you all soon - can I call you sometime this week? I want to chat about gardens and jobs.