Tuesday, August 12, 2008

fresh air

Thank You Jesus for the cool breeze and much needed rain. I have had my windows open for 2 days now and it's August in Oklahoma. The temperature is twenty degrees below average. This is a little unsettling, but I won't dwell on global warming right now... only that for moments, here and there in my day, I can pretend that I am at home in Seattle.

Speaking of Seattle I have not taken the time to write about our trip to the Northwest last month. I haven't for a variety of reasons. I miss Seattle and things Northwest so much that I can hardly wrap my words around my feelings without starting a crying a jag... and since that has been my mode of operation lately, I just couldn't risk it.

But with the fresh breeze and break in Oklahoma weather, I am feeling a change in mood. We have many things going on in our house. School began two weeks ago and my creative projects have picked up as well. I am trying to carve out time for certain crafts that will be put in a show in October (pictures of finished products will come later.)

Today I need to write about home.
One of the most precious and spectacular blessings we have received this year (or ever, for that matter) was the gift of two plane tickets and a trip to Seattle. With great anticipation, the fireman, baby Jack, and I boarded the planes and travelled all day. As we began our initial descent we flew over the city I caught my breath at the beauty before me. The city lay beneath us, welcoming us home.

We were greeted by some of our favorite people in the whole entire world, John and Ann. I can't believe that I spent the entire week with them and didn't get a single picture of these people who love us as their own. I could write paragraphs on the love I have for J and A. Ann is a gift to our world. She is a beautiful, faithful mother of four. She is a mentor, mother, and friend to me. I miss her all the time. And John- he is gracious, loving, unimposing, and completely genuine. (Thank you J and A for the generous gift you shared with us.)
As we left Sea-Tac, Calvin and I and Ann and John visited about everyday things as if we had seen them yesterday. They pointed out new buildings re-shaping the Seattle skyline and started making plans for our week together. We stopped at a favorite pizza place just a few blocks from our sweet Queen Anne apartment- Maggie's first home. We saw some familiar faces and revelled in being back in our old neighborhood.
Ann and John were house-sitting for friends in Magnolia and after a few quick stops for diapers and necessary Trader Joe's snacks, we headed to the villa.
Did I mention that I love Seattle? I know I bore the heck out of people and I have to reign myself in when I see the glazed-eye expression creep into their faces. But this is my blog and I have the right to write all I want...

Crossing the Magnolia Bridge and looking out over Puget Sound, glancing back at Mount Ranier in his full glory, the 20 or so white sailboats in the blue water and Olympic Mountains as the backdrop, the Port of Seattle with the huge, bright orange cranes, the cruise ships, the Cascades Mountains to the east, and the gorgeous downtown skyline rising in the sunset... I was delirious. I was wearing a light jacket and jeans and felt great- and it was July. I think that something I love so much about Seattle is that just by looking at it, I can pick out what part of town is what. I know where I am almost all of the time and how to get where I want to go. I have favorite hole-in-the-wall boutiques and restuarant dives. I can recall bus routes and find the hidden stairways up the CounterBalance. I love the nooks and crannies. I know my way around, even after being away for so long.

One of my favorite days while there was one of the last. The day was warm by Seattle standards- in the mid 80's with a cool sea breeze. We had eaten a late breakfast with a good friend and then walked into downtown- about 10 blocks. We strolled through Pike Place Market and wandered up to Westlake Center and took the Monorail to Seattle Center. Seattle Center is about 4 blocks from our little apartment so is especially familiar. We walked over to the International Fountain, built in the 60's during the World's Fair. People were everywhere, sprawled all over the grass, picnicing, sleeping, hacky-sacking, juggling, kissing, sunbathing, relaxing... the fountain is just that- a giant, silver dome that "dances" to the music being piped in and broadcast over the loudspeakers. The water spray is choreographed to the tempo. And like a living thing it seems to play games with the crowd gathered to dance in it's sprinkles. Every so often, it will stop spraying and just let the water just run down the sides. I think everyone takes the dare and runs to touch the fountain before it starts up again... and usually it blows it's top just as every last person works up the courage to run for it. I love the screaming and laughing and chaos- the pleasure of being alive and enjoying a beautiful day in a fabulous city.
We couldn't resist letting Jack run through the water- even without a spare change of clothes. Who cares? It was too lovely to let the moment go by with out living in it.
closing for now.

No comments: